A DEFENCE dominated game ended goalless as both sides struggled to find any creative spark at Shawe View on Saturday.

Trafford appeals for a penalty after Mark Jackson appeared to handle were turned down in the 10th minute and shortly afterwards Farsley’s quicksilver striker Gareth Grant chipped just over after outstripping the home defence.

Joe Shaw’s curling free kick was tipped over the crossbar by Tom Morgan and from the resulting corner Nia Bayunu struck a powerful volley that was bundled behind.

As half time approached a deep cross from the left by home full back Paul Ashton was sliced wide at the back post by Kamahl Whight and Farsley’s Dave Stead then cut in from the right flank but fired into the side-netting.

Farsley created the better openings in a scrappy second half with Ben Jones glancing a header against the crossbar in the 53rd minute following a left wing corner.

Gareth Grant then saw his low drive bravely blocked by Trafford right back Steve Mason and at the other end Danny Shannon completely miskicked from 15 yards as the home side created a rare chance.

Jones should have broken the deadlock in the 63rd minute when he volleyed wide from just six yards after Trafford had failed to clear a right wing corner and he went close again eleven minutes later when he powered a header over the crossbar.

Nia Bayunu cleared a Mark Jackson header off the goal-line as Farsley pressed for the breakthrough and in the 79th minute Trafford squandered their best chance of the game when Kamahl Whight broke clear down the right but blasted his shot well over with the goal at his mercy.

A disappointing game came to a close with neither goalkeeper having a save of any note to make and perhaps the only saving grace for the spectators was the fact that it was a glorious sunny afternoon.

On Saturday Trafford travel to Skelmersdale United for a league fixture kicking off at 3 p.m. and then on Tuesday night they entertain Warrington Town at Shawe View, kick off 7-45 pm.