POLICE are investigating following a fire at a house in Davyhulme.

The living room of the semi-detached bungalow was completely destroyed in the blaze, which began at Kingsway Park, Davyhulme, at around 7pm last night.

No one was in the property when fire crews arrived, but some smoke spread to neighbouring properties — one of which was occupied by a man in his eighties, who was subsequently looked after by neighbours.

A crew from Stretford Fire Station and two from Eccles attended the incident initially, but they were replaced later in the night as it took some time to make the area completely safe.

Six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the house to tackle the blaze using hose reels, which prevented the fire from spreading throughout the property.

Firefighters will return to the area later today to distribute leaflets and offer fire safety advice.


Crew Manager Dave Price, from Stretford Fire Station, said: “The fire was well alight and the front windows had been completely destroyed due to the intense heat.

“The living room was completely engulfed in flames which were licking up onto the roof and there was an awful lot of smoke.

“The fire has completely devastated the front room and damaged the remainder of the house but we managed to salvage some belongings from the bedroom.

“A man in his eighties next door was standing in the smoke when we arrived so we assisted him across to neighbours who looked after him while we fought the fire and I’d like to thank those neighbours for their help – there was a great community spirit.”

Enquiries into the cause of the blaze are ongoing.