TRAFFORD crashed to a disastrous 5-0 defeat at the hands of third-placed Bamber Bridge on Saturday, leaving their hopes of promotion from Evo-Stik North hanging by a thread.

Trafford actually created the first opportunity in the fourth minute when Michael Monaghan fired over from 15 yards following a left-wing corner but hosts Brig forged ahead in the 17th minute when poor marking allowed Kieran Charnock to plant his soaring header into the top corner.

Trafford were allowing Brig’s new signing Lewis Nightingale too much space in midfield and he went close on four occasions with drives from long distance.

Danny Forbes almost made it two but saw his shot deflected behind and Alistair Waddecar failed to connect properly from three yards, allowing Trafford keeper Grant Shenton to gather the ball.

But it seemed only a matter of time before the hosts scored again and that goal duly arrived five minutes before the interval when Nightingale capped off a fine run from deep with a superb curling shot into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Things could have been even worse for the visitors when, on the stroke of half time, Jack Dorney carelessly gave the ball away from a free kick and Brig broke forward only for Regan Linney to head wide from four yards.

Trafford made a bright start to the second half with Scott Sephton whistling a drive inches wide from 25 yards but in the 54th minute they were punished once again for carelessly conceding possession and Matthew Dudley pulled the ball back from the goal-line for Linney to tap home.

Trafford manager Tom Baker made a triple substitution and in the 72nd minute home keeper Lloyd Rigby was called upon to make his first save of any note when he held a Mark Derbyshire header at full length.

Aaron Burns wasted a golden opportunity in the 74th minute when he failed to find the unmarked Monaghan and four minutes later a great curling cross by Andy Langford was met by a Derbyshire volley that flew straight at Rigby.

Trafford knew it was not to be their day in the 84th minute when Laurence Taylor found Derbyshire in the centre-forward position but the giant striker saw his drive cannon back into play off the left-hand upright.

And within a minute Chris Marlow made it 4-0 when he shot home from close range after Shenton had produced a brilliant reflex save to deny Stuart Vasey.

Despite the magnificent vocal support of the travelling Trafford supporters, their side were unable to raise their game and the scoring was completed two minutes into stoppage time when James Boyd strode forward to unleash a tremendous drive from 25 yards that flew into the bottom corner.

Trafford will be desperate to get back to winning ways on Saturday when they host second-placed Scarborough Athletic at Shawe View, kick off 3pm.