Droylsden 2 Trafford 0

TRAFFORD produced a brave performance in the Manchester Premier Cup Final on Tuesday night (April 20), but fell to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Blue Square North high flyers Droylsden.

The gulf in class was evident in the opening stages as Droylsden retained possession at will and the Trafford youngsters were chasing shadows.

And it took just seven minutes for the Tamesiders to take the lead when Alex Meechan rounded off a slick move by firing into the bottom corner from 15 yards.

Three minutes later Alex Brown almost doubled his team’s lead following another fine move but Tom Read was equal to the task and deflected the shot wide.

As the half hour mark approached, Trafford came more into the game and Droylsden keeper Craig Mawson pushed a Shelton Payne drive around the post and then saw Greg Hall fire just wide of the far upright.

Seconds before half time Alex Brown had a glorious chance to make it 2-0 but shot over at the near post following a low cross by Lee Roche.

Droylsden were once again in control in the opening minutes of the second period and Tom Read deflected another Meechan effort wide of the post.

Disaster struck for Trafford in the 59th minute when Meechan broke clear and coolly slipped the ball past the advancing Read to make it 2-0.

Trafford battled gamely with the electrifying pace of Shelton Payne causing all sorts of problems for the Droylsden defence and after screwing a shot wide of the near post on the hour, the fleet-footed winger cut in and fired against the upright from a tight angle.

Garry Vaughan’s young side were now on top and in the 75th minute Scott Barlow saw his low drive held by Mawson.

Three minutes later dangerman Payne curled a shot from 20 yards against the far post and Marvin McDonald volleyed the rebound straight at Mawson.

Payne fired over following another great run but Droylsden finished the stronger with Tony Gray blasting a drive inches over and substitute Shaun Whalley powering in a shot that Tom Read pushed behind.

The final whistle arrived to signal a deserved victory for Droylsden although Trafford, and their magnificent supporters, could take heart from a courageous and determined performance.

Trafford conclude their season on Saturday with a Unibond League Division One North fixture against Chorley at Shawe View, kick off 3pm.