Despite the atrocious conditions, Trafford and Widnes produced an exciting spectacle with an abundance of goalmouth action in their 1-1 draw.

Torrential rain fell throughout but this did not deter both sides attacking from the outset and after just six minutes Trafford centre back Adam Rooney almost put his team ahead when his downward header from an Oli Roberts corner was cleared off the Widnes goalline.

Rooney then became the hero at the other end of the pitch when Widnes striker James Steele looked certain to score but the giant Trafford centre back somehow raced back to hook the ball clear.

Widnes centre back Ben Hampson headed wide as the visitors began to take control and they took the lead in the 16th minute when Jordan Southworth was given far too much space and fired past Matty Cooper from 15 yards.

Widnes were causing particular problems down Trafford’s left-hand side and skipper Michael Burke almost made it two when he headed over in the 20th minute.

Danny Caldecott’s team were looking low on confidence but they were desperately unlucky in the 33rd minute when Roberts neatly fed Matty Barlow whose angled drive struck the foot of the post with Max Hazeldine just unable to force home the rebound.

On the stroke of half-time another slick move by the visitors ended with Ryan Jennings firing inches past the far post.

In the 53rd minute Trafford fought their way level when Jack Sloan cut in from the left and when the Widnes defence failed to clear, Barlow was on hand to head home from close range.

Trafford visibly grew in confidence following this goal and Matty Morgan made several scintillating runs down the left flank as his side sensed victory.

Hazeldine wasted a free-kick from a great position just outside the Widnes penalty area and in a rare attack by the visitors substitute Michael Conlon struck the foot of the post with a long range drive.

Trafford stormed forward in the closing stages, Morgan unleashing a thunderous drive that struck the top of the crossbar, Rooney screwing a shot wide from the left and man-of-the-match James Neild heading a free-kick wide from just eight yards.

But over the 90 minutes a draw was perhaps a fair result from a game in which both teams defied the elements to warm the hearts of the 200 spectators allowed to attend under current Covid guidelines.