Trafford MV welcomed Wigan to MacPherson Park and were hopeful of picking up some much-needed league points against their fellow strugglers.

However hope and reality proved to be distant partners.

Wigan played with the benefit of a strong wind in the first half and MV tried hard to play the ball out of defence on numerous occasions but were pegged back by kicks deep into their territory.

Wigan opened their account after 25 minutes when young pacey winger Billy Sheridan was put away to dive over for his first senior try.

The conversion was missed but a conceded penalty minutes later nudged Wigan into an 8-0 lead.

Sheridan made MV pay for weak tackling as half-time approached as he cut through the home defence with a mazy run scoring near the posts for full back Ethan Jukes to convert and make it 15-0 at the break.

As the teams changed ends MV got the advantage of the wind but Wigan played a tighter game using their forwards to carry the ball out of defence.

MV did look dangerous on occasions with James Matthie and Leon Passley running well but Wigan were pretty strong defensively.

A period of pressure and scrums forced Wigan to concede penalties and it was Josh James that eventually ploughed over for MV from close in. Pat Eccles converted to narrow the score to 15-7.

Wigan were quick to respond and ground their way deep into MV's 22.

Intense forward pressure caused havoc for MV and as ball was moved wide a sharp cut back inside left MV defenders flat footed for Sam Heeley to score the decisive winning try, extending the advantage to 20-7 with the conversion missed.

This was a must-win game for Trafford in the battle to avoid relegation and when the chips were down they fell short once more.

This weekend MV have another opportunity as they travel to ninth-placed Ormskirk in another battle at the bottom.

Trafford MV are looking for players inspired by the Six Nations to get in touch with Greg on 07834 857905 or to call in to the club on a Tuesday or Thursday training night from 7pm.