By Dave Law

TRAFFORD FC had to settle for a share of the spoils in a 1-1 draw at Mossley in BetVictor North West Division.

Despite dominating for long spells, Trafford were thwarted by a well-organised and resilient home side that denied them the points to go top of the table.

The visitors started confidently with some neat inter-play, although the first chance fell to Mossley when Ben Halfacre’s header was deflected wide for a corner.

Lewis Walters then fired over from a good position as Trafford pressed for the opener and, when a Sam Grimshaw drive was blocked, Keil O’Brien blasted the rebound over the Mossley bar from 12 yards.

In the 33rd minute the hosts stormed ahead with a breathtaking goal, Ryan Brooke collecting a headed clearance 30 yards out and crashing a magnificent curling drive into the top corner past the helpless Matty Cooper.

Seven minutes later Halfacre almost made it two with a superb volley that Cooper brilliantly pushed over as Mossley finished the half on top.

The second half saw Trafford once again in the ascendancy with the slope in their favour and in the 53rd minute Curtis Miller should have levelled but screwed his shot wide from 12 yards.

Mossley keeper Josh Ollerenshaw saved a Walters free kick at the foot of his right-hand post and a great run by Joel Amado ended with Lewis Salmon poking a shot against the upright.

Substitute Darius Palma was introduced to the fray in the 68th minute and within 60 seconds Trafford were level when Walters skipped past three defenders and cracked a fine low drive inside the far post.

The closing minutes were exciting as both sides pushed for the winner and despite Trafford enjoying the greater possession, the best chance fell to Mossley’s Jamie Rainford who smashed a superb angled drive that Cooper saved one-handed at the near post.

Trafford booked their place in the semi-finals of the Manchester Premier Cup with a comfortable 2-0 win at Wythenshawe Town on Tuesday night.

Palma broke the deadlock on 26 minutes for Trafford, who by then had already wasted several good chances. And though they were on top throughout, it was not until stoppage time when Tom Schofield scored a second to seal victory.

Trafford are in league action again on Saturday with a trip to Widnes.