ALTRINCHAM wasted no time in making the most of home advantage with impressive wins against Hereford and Gateshead inside four days in National League North.

After 10 weeks away, the Robins produced two top-class performances at the J.Davidson Stadium.

Saturday’s 5-1 mauling of the Bulls was followed by a comprehensive 3-0 victory over Gateshead on Tuesday night as Phil Parkinson’s side scored eight goals and moved to within six points of the play-offs with a game in hand on Brackley Town, who are currently in the final play-off position.

Jordan Hulme was Saturday’s hero, scoring a hat-trick with defenders Tom Hannigan and Shaun Densmore completing the scoring against a defensively-ragged Hereford side that started well but ultimately crumbled to the superior Robins.

Toby Mullarkey got the all-important first goal against Gateshead, his first for the club, pouncing on some uncharacteristically ponderous defending from the Tynesiders, who had only conceded 12 goals in the league before Tuesday night’s defeat.

Hulme and a Josh Hancock penalty completed the scoring and boss Parkinson was delighted with his team’s display.

“It was a thoroughly professional performance against a full-time Gateshead side who we knew were going to sit deep defensively and be a tough nut to crack.

“We are now unbeaten in nine games over more than two months, most of which have been away from home, and the players have responded superbly to overcoming the sluggish start to the season.”

On Saturday, Altrincham travel to York City for an FA Trophy third-round qualifying tie, in a repeat of the FA Cup first-round tie at Bootham Crescent less than three weeks ago.

Both clubs have agreed the tie will be concluded on the day, with extra-time and penalties deciding, if needed, who makes progress into the first round.

Ticket sales for the FA Cup second-round tie at Portsmouth on Saturday, November 30 are already approaching the 400 mark and are available from the club during normal office hours.