TWO goals by teenage sensation Lewis Salmon in the space of three second-half minutes turned the game on its head and sealed a 3-2 victory for Trafford against Dunston in a thrilling encounter at the Home Estates Shawe View Stadium.

Tom Baker’s side were in complete control for virtually the whole of the first half and took the lead in the 14th minute when an almighty scramble ended with Keil O’Brien firing home through a packed goalmouth.

With Tom Schofield bossing the midfield, Trafford pushed forward but were unable to turn their dominance into goals and they were punished two minutes before the interval when Dunston equalised completely against the run of play, Scott Heslop heading home at the back post following a right-wing corner.

Seventeen-year-old striker Salmon had replaced Jordan Johnson in the opening minutes and led the front line superbly.

And in the 47th minute, his goalbound header was brilliantly parried by Karl Dryden with Darius Palma somehow unable to force home the rebound.

Curtis Miller squandered a great chance with a weak half-volley from just six yards, O’Brien flashed a header across the face of the goal and in the 57th minute Trafford were punished for their profligacy when a slip by Sam Egerton allowed Daniel Halliday to steer the ball past Matty Cooper to put the visitors ahead.

Shortly afterwards a thunderous drive from 25 yards by Dunston substitute Liam Thear rattled the bar and a cracking shot by Jack Elliott was superbly saved by Cooper as the visitors grew in confidence.

In the 75th minute, Schofield was red carded for a dangerous lunge at Danny Capewell and in the ensuing melee Dunston’s Michael Hall was also dismissed for pushing Schofield.

This unsavoury incident proved to be the turning point of the game as Trafford poured forward and just three minutes later Sam Grimshaw swung over a fine cross from the left that was met by a brilliant glancing volley by Salmon that flew past the helpless Dryden.

The Trafford fans sensed victory and in the 81st minute the brilliant Salmon was scythed down inside the Dunston penalty area and dusted himself down to coolly slot the resulting spot-kick into the bottom corner.

The visitors were a spent force and Trafford calmly saw out the remaining minutes to record a crucial victory that sees them move up into 10th place in the BetVictor League North West Division.

Their next outing sees them host Prescot Cables on Saturday, kick off 3pm.