TRAFFORD fell to their second defeat in four days when another late goal gave an impressive Workington side a 1-0 away win and all three points.

The visitors were on top in the opening stages with Brad Carroll firing over and Liam Brockbank blasting a drive that was parried by Matty Cooper.

Trafford midfielder Jordan Wynne then pulled a fine pass across the face of the Workington goal but Darius Palma just failed to connect at the back post.

Lewis Salmon’s stretched header was then held by James Atkinson as Trafford battled spiritedly against their well-drilled opponents and Declan Rydings fired over from 15 yards following more good work by Wynne.

A defence-dominated half ended with Workington’s David Symington curling a free kick from the right that was neatly saved by Cooper.

Both teams pushed forward at every opportunity in the opening minutes of the second half but once again clear-cut chances were at a premium, Symington rifling another long-range effort over in the 71st minute.

Two minutes later Workington substitute Gari Rowntree was sent off following a series of reckless challenges but the visitors' superior experience shone through and their 10 men continued to dominate possession.

Symington went close again with a low drive that was held by Cooper and the game appeared to be heading for a goalless draw when tragedy struck for the hosts five minutes from time.

Workington won a corner out on their left, the ball was played hard and low to the near post and Daniel Wordworth somehow bundled it home inside the packed goalmouth and Trafford were unable to recover.

Four days earlier, Tom Baker's side lost their BetVictor North West Division opener at Tadcaster Albion when another late goal against was their undoing – a sensational strike from 40 yards deep into stoppage time by Albion substitute Jonathon Margetts giving the hosts a 2-1 victory.

A lively start to the game saw Trafford create the first chance in the eighth minute when Palma struck a free kick from the right into the side-netting.

Six minutes later Albion conceded another free kick 25 yards out and this time new signing Jordan Johnson stepped forward to blast a tremendous drive into the top corner past the helpless Michael Ingham.

Baker’s side were dominating possession but were punished in the 22nd minute when they failed to clear a free kick from the right and giant striker Jacob Day arrived at the back post to head past Cooper.

Chances were few and far between for the remainder of the first half with Day volleying just wide from 25 yards and Trafford unfortunately losing goalscorer Johnson due to injury just before half time.

Albion were on top in the opening minutes of the second half with Donald Chigumira whipping in a cross from the right that Day volleyed over and right-back Josh Barrett floating in a cross that rebounded into play off the back post.

But gradually Trafford resumed control with Palma causing problems on the right but being let down with some wayward finishing, and substitute Kayde Coppin should have done better when he fired over from 15 yards.

Two minutes into stoppage time the visitors, and their brilliant travelling supporters, were stunned by an incredible goal, Margetts cracking a superb first-time shot from near the centre circle over Cooper and into the back of the net.

Sam Baird headed over at the back post as Trafford desperately sought an equaliser but it was not to be.

Trafford must now put the two defeats behind them and prepare for their FA Cup Preliminary-Round tie at home to Burscough on Saturday, kick off 3pm.