THE second domestic knockout final in the Lancashire and Cheshire Amateur Football League was another closely-contested affair for the Hellawell Shield between Irlam Tigers seconds and Chadderton Park seconds at the excellent venue of West Didsbury and Chorlton FC.

Both teams were well supported and gave their all in another nerve jangler that went right to the wire before the young Tigers team emerged with a 1-0 win.

The Tigers dominated the first half with some lively pace but were unable to convert their chances to leave Park in the game and during the second half their experienced players gained more midfield control to make it an even game with chances at both ends.

The breakthrough came on 78 minutes when Thomas Nelson headed home from close-range following a corner to give the Tigers the lead.

Park came back well and pressed hard for a late equaliser but the Tigers hung on to claim the trophy.

It was the final day of action in most divisions with players and officials having to put up with the demands of Storm Hannah.

In the Premier Division, the main focus was on the runners-up behind newly-crowned champions Rochdalians.

Second-placed High Lane lost out in a tight game at Waterloo 3-2, but as third-placed Whalley Range also went down 6-2 at an in-form Salford Vics, High Lane were the runners-up.

Vics were too hot to handle and on target were Mike Gandy (two), Ruben Rose, Pat Gregory, Dale McAndrew and Joe Axon who set up a comfortable 6-1 lead with Range grabbing a late second consolation.

South Manchester have enjoyed a solid season and they finished in style with a 5-2 win at Abacus Media and providing the nap-hand for South were Kiefer Greig, Marc Critchley, Azuka Otutu (two) and Milo Edwards.

Milton also rounded off a good season with a 3-1 win at Old Stretfordians for a comfortable mid-table finish.

The runners-up slot in Division Two was decided on goal difference in favour of Hollingworth who drew 2-2 at Santos to see them home from Urmston Town who cruised to a 6-1 win at Spurley Hey.

The other game in the division saw champions Newton lose out by the odd goal in five hosting Mellor seconds.

Division A champions Chadderton Cott completed their season in style and preserved their unbeaten record with a 4-1 win against Flixton and the other game saw Trafford United seconds win 3-2 at Chorltonians Villa.

AFC Stockport wrapped up the Division B title with a 3-0 win against Chadderton Cott seconds keeping their two-point lead over Old Stretfordians seconds, who finished their season strongly with a big 8-0 win at Didsbury seconds.