TRAFFORD produced another supremely disciplined and composed performance to hold Atherton Collieries to a goalless draw on Monday, although the point gained by the hosts meant they were crowned Evo-Stik West champions.

Both defences were on top throughout although Trafford keeper and skipper Matty Cooper had to be alert in the eighth minute when he pushed a Vince Bailey free kick past the post.

Trafford were enjoying plenty of possession but lacked the final killer pass and they had to be grateful to giant centre-back Keil O’Brien in the dying seconds of the first half when he cleared brilliantly from Connor Gaul as the Colls winger looked certain to score.

Colls played with slightly more urgency in the opening minutes of the second half with Oliver Roberts striking a free kick straight at Cooper who then made a rare mistake in dropping a cross from the right but thankfully the hosts failed to capitalise.

Chances were at a premium although Ben Hardcastle fired well wide from the edge of the area for Colls and Adam Farrell did likewise for the visitors.

In the 80th minute Trafford wasted a great opportunity to break the deadlock when Darius Palma sped down the left and crossed invitingly to Laurence Taylor but Colls keeper Greg Hartley saved at full length.

Palma then wasted a free kick on the edge of the penalty area before Colls laid siege on the Trafford goal in the closing minutes.

But once again the visitors backline performed heroics to keep their goal intact, blocking numerous close range efforts as they took great pride in another clean sheet and a highly creditable point.

Two days earlier, Trafford squandered several gilt-edged chances and had to settle for a point in another goalless draw against high-flying Runcorn Linnets at the First Point Shawe View Stadium.

The visitors were on top in the early stages and Ryan Gibson wasted a good opportunity in the 10th minute when he failed to connect properly with a volley from just eight yards out.

Trafford striker Mason Fawns headed over at full stretch following a superb cross by Palma and, in the space of three minutes, Liam Ellis struck an angled drive over and then somehow headed over from inside the six-yard box with the goal at his mercy.

Just before half time Linnets’ Antony Hickey struck a low drive from 15 yards that home keeper Cooper tipped around the post.

The second half was similar to the first with Linnets setting the early pace and Mitch Bryant heading wide under pressure from Sam Egerton.

Paul Shanley curled a free kick into the side-netting and an Aaron Norris thunderbolt was deflected behind by Trafford defender Jimmy Moore.

But Trafford once again eased their way into the proceedings and in the 64th minute Declan Rydings burst through only to be denied at point-blank range by Tom Scott.

Rydings then fired over after good work by Danny Wilkins and substitute Farrell should have done better when he headed another fine cross by Palma weakly into the ground from just six yards.

In the dying seconds Chris Palmer was desperately unlucky not to break the deadlock when he cut inside from the right and struck a fine shot that glanced off the head of Norris and rebounded back into play off the underside of the bar.

Trafford conclude their season on Saturday when they entertain Market Drayton Town.