ALTRINCHAM Kersal first XV returned to Lancs/Cheshire Division One action with a 21-18 victory over a battling Winnington Park on home soil.

Winnington took the lead with a penalty after a quarter of an hour, having made good use of the blind side in a number of moves and despite some very strong defence from the home team.

Altrincham responded quickly with a breakaway try by Cameron Thornburn which was converted by Callum Yates.

A further Altrincham try by Jon Coulson and again converted by Yates left the home side with a 14-3 advantage.

Park then countered with a converted try of their own to make the score 14-10.

Altrincham responded with a further try at which the pack were assisted by centre Calum Robinson, who drove over for the score to which Yates added the extra two points to make it 21-10 at half time.

The second half saw the visitors score an early penalty and then a try to make the score 21-18.

The home side pressed steadily in the last 10 minutes and were looking increasingly dominant until a loose pass close to the Park try line was intercepted and the action moved to the home 22 area for the last two minutes.

Altrincham held out with some very solid defence to maintain their lead at the top of the table ahead of Saturday's trip to third-placed Glossop.

The seconds lost by a whisker, 35-34, to visiting Liverpool University Veterinarians, while the third XV were also on the wrong side of the result in a close-run affair, losing 24-21 at home to Aldwinians.

But there was better news for Kersal on Sunday when the senior colts put in a phenomenal performance to win 19-0 at Vale of Lune, and seal the League B title.

Vale of Lune were the only team that could catch them and needed a comfortable win to be in with a chance of doing so.

But any Kersal nerves were eased with an early try from Cormac Grieves, converted by Max Brookes.

Soon after Sam Walsh made the score 12-0, which is how it stayed until half time.

The second half was a scrappy affair, but Kersal made sure of the victory and the title with another Walsh try 15 minutes from the end, converted by Brookes.