ALTRINCHAM Kersal strengthened their position at the top of the Lancs/Cheshire Division One with a 38-7 bonus-point home victory over Bolton

Kersal came out of the blocks to make a ferocious start to a game that constantly demanded full effort from both sides with no quarter being asked or given throughout the whole match.

The home side scored first from a powerful forward play and this was met by a try from Bolton to level the scores.

Altrincham then soaked up a period of relentless pressure, displaying excellent and cohesive defence to continually rebuff a series of determined attacks from Bolton.

Eventually the opportunity to counter attack was created and the home side went into the break leading 14-7. 

The second half saw the same level of commitment from both sides as Altrincham contained a powerful Bolton pack who had seen off many teams this season, both in the scrum and line-out which was no mean feat.

The Kersal defensive line held firm and the opportunities for both the pack and the home side's excellent back line were created and delivered with them scoring four unanswered tries in the second half to secure victory. 

Kersal face a trip to Sefton this weekend.

The seconds made the short trip to Broughton Park to play them for the third time this season.

Kersal scored twice in the opening 10 minutes and maintained their lead going into half time 26-19 up, thanks to a solid scrum from the forwards, expansive running from the backs and tries across the team.

Playing into the wind in the second half, Kersal stuck to what had been working in the first half and knew they had to maintain a big defensive effort.

Further tries were scored, but after 70 minutes Kersal went off the boil.

Some big running put Broughton Park ahead and while Kersal had the last say and were close to pressuring a losing bonus point, the match ended 55-40 to the hosts.

The club's senior colts lost 27-7 to a strong Southport side.

A series of penalties and unforced errors in the first half gave the visitors a 12-0 lead even though they were playing against the wind. 

Despite replying early in the second half with a try from Fabio Higginson to reduce the deficit, Southport were immediately awarded a penalty try and the home side were reduced to 14 players as a result.

Southport then extended their lead further with two more scores. 

Kersal remain top of the league, but their comfortable lead has been eroded in the last month.