BOWDON missed out on a bonus point but won 25-12 at Tarleton in Lancs/Cheshire Division One.

Tarleton were first to score with their forwards sucking in the Bowdon defence as they worked a series of close rucks in the visitors' 22 before finally spinning it out wide for the winger to go over in the corner.

Bowdon hit back with a try of their own after putting pressure on the Tarleton midfield to force a penalty.

Fly-half George Smith kicked to the corner and the forwards converted with a catch and drive from the resulting line-out and hooker Sean Hughes breaking from the back and putting in a powerful leg drive to cross the line to even the scores.

Another penalty for offside gave Bowdon the lead as Will Batterbury split the posts with his kick.

With the conditions getting worse, Bowdon camped in the Tarleton 22 and the referee was called on to make a tough decision as the visitors drove over the line.

Despite claiming the try, the referee saw it differently and indicated second-row Pat Fitzgerald’s effort was held up.

He did, however, award a penalty which was converted to extend the Bowdon lead.

The Bowdon defence soon had Tarleton pinned deep in their own half and when a clearance kick failed to put much distance between the visiting pack and the try line, the forwards took their opportunity with a series of well-worked drives around the fringes of the ruck, eventually leading to prop Craig Anthony crashing over for a converted try.

The next 30 minutes after half time saw both sides struggling to get any fluidity in their play and with seven minutes left Tarleton’s hopes where raised when they scored with what was arguably the best move of the day.

A kicked tap penalty deep in their own half caught the Bowdon defence on the back foot for the first time in the match and a sweeping move up the field eventually led to a score in the corner.

With the excellent conversion taken it brought Tarleton within touching distance at 18-12, despite Bowdon dominating both possession and field position.

Bowdon, however, were not to be denied and hit back immediately with a converted try of their own when centre Jamie Anthony read the play, intercepted and offloaded to his centre partner Liam Connolly who drove deep into the Tarleton 22 before handing the ball to supporting flanker Tom Gomulko to score.

The visitors were denied a late bonus point when the referee was unsighted on a swift Bowdon break as two of their colts combined.

Full-back Will Nicholson, completing a solid performance, led a half break and kick down field for Harry Briscoe to turn the Tarleton defence and race for the ball as it settled in the in goal area.

Despite the young debutant being at least a half yard in front of the cover the referee was unsighted and ruled that the try had not been scored.