TRAFFORD were left to rue missed chances as they were held to a 1-1 draw by a spirited Widnes side at the First Point Shawe View Stadium on Saturday.

After a frenetic start, the first chance fell to Trafford in the 14th minute when an Aaron Burns free kick was brilliantly tipped past the post by Owen Wheeler.

Home manager Tom Baker was then forced to make an early change when centre-back Ben Harrison withdrew with a muscle injury in the 20th minute, Andy Langford slotting into the back line and substitute Ross Davidson moving into midfield.

Despite these changes, the hosts continued to dominate and in the 24th minute Jack Dorney struck a sweet half-volley from the edge of the penalty area that cannoned against the bar.

Widnes were playing with lots of confidence and determination and in the 33rd minute their danger man, Ben Hodkinson, set off on a great run down the left that ended with a shot into the side-netting.

Matty Bryan could not direct his header downwards as Liam Ellis floated a cross in from the left and three minutes into the second half Sam Heathcote went close with a free kick that flew inches wide.

In the 58th minute, Dorney was once again denied by the woodwork when his exquisite chip from the left rebounded into play off the back post but two minutes later Trafford were finally rewarded for their superiority when Dorney’s left-wing corner was headed home from six yards by the unmarked Ross Davidson.

Ellis should have doubled Trafford’s lead in the 68th minute when a superb run took him past three defenders but he screwed his shot wide from 15 yards.

Widnes were still very much in the game and in the 81st minute they shocked the home supporters with the equaliser, Hodkinson creating the danger out on the left and crossing for substitute George Webster to drive home from 10 yards.

Trafford immediately introduced substitutes Mark Derbyshire and Darius Palma and piled forward in search of the winner.

Widnes keeper Wheeler brilliantly pushed a Derbyshire header past the upright and two minutes into stoppage time the giant Trafford striker should have done better but mistimed his header from eight yards with the goal at his mercy.

Despite dropping two points, Trafford retained third place in Evo-Stik West but face another stern test on Saturday when they travel to old rivals Newcastle Town.