A SENSATIONAL 25-yard thunderbolt by substitute Danny Frost five minutes from time earned Trafford a 1-0 home win against Colne and kept alive their hopes of an Evo-Stik North play-off spot.

A scrappy first half of little goalmouth action saw both sides concede possession all too frequently with neither goalkeeper called upon to make a save of any note.

However, four minutes into the second half Trafford striker Aaron Burns missed a great chance to put the hosts ahead when he mis-hit his close-range shot and Hakan Burton saved.

Four minutes later Colne squandered an even better chance when Alex Curran dribbled around Grant Shenton and squared the ball to Harry Pratt but Keil O’Brien somehow blocked his shot as a goal beckoned.

Shenton saved again to thwart another close-range effort by Connor Hughes and Burns should have done better on the hour mark but scuffed his shot from eight yards.

Steve Mason saw his header cleared off the line by Lee Pugh as Trafford upped the tempo with substitutes Jack Dorney and Frost giving them greater energy and impetus.

However, in the 67th minute Colne went close once more when Oliver Crankshaw rounded Shenton but shot into the side-netting.

Two minutes later Burns flung himself at a cross from Ally Brown but his header flew wide and Lee Neville struck a volley at the back post that was cleared off the line by Alex Coleman.

Colne were contributing greatly to what was now a superb spectacle and they went close to scoring three times in the space of five minutes, Crankshaw firing in a shot from the edge of the area that was held by Shenton, Steve Mason clearing a chip by Hughes off his line and substitute Waqar Azam blasting a drive against the foot of the post from 18 yards.

However, in the 85th minute Frost collected the ball out on the right, skipped inside and unleashed a tremendous drive that flew into the top corner.

Deep into stoppage time, Shenton produced another full-length save to deny Crankshaw but Frost’s wonder goal was worthy of winning any match and secured the three points for Tom Baker’s side.

It completed a good few days for the Shawe View men after last Tuesday's penalty shoot-out win at Droyslden saw them progress to the final of the Manchester Premier Cup and a tie against FC United of Manchester.

The game finished 2-2 with Trafford's goals coming from Burns and Sean Miller.

Nerves appeared to get the better of the Droylsden players in the shoot-out as they missed three of their four penalties. Burns, Darius Palma and Miller all coolly converted their spot-kicks to see Trafford through.

On Saturday, Trafford face another of the promotion hopefuls when they travel to Clitheroe, 3pm kick off.