ALTRINCHAM Kersal's first XV ended their long-awaited search for a victory in North One West with a 23-5 home triumph against Carlisle.

The match did not get off to the greatest of starts for the hosts, Carlisle going ahead early on with a try from James Brocket.

Kersal were soon back in the fray, however, with an expertly-taken penalty from Matt Tully, who then added more salt into Carlisle's wounds kicking another soon after to edge his side ahead.

The game started to move away from the visitors as Kersal's forwards worked well together, line-outs and scrums were strong and the link between the forwards and backs got them on the front foot with solid defence shown throughout.

With tries from Paul Mallaband and Rob Worsfold, and Tully executing three penalties and two conversions, the game was sealed.

Kersal travel to the Isle of Man for their next match to face Douglas on Saturday.

The seconds had no game but the thirds played out a frustrating 0-0 draw at home to Stockport.

On Sunday, the Under-17s beat Blackburn 22-12 in a hard-fought clash.

Kersal enjoyed most of the possession and looked the most likely to score, but Blackburn remained resolute and defended manfully going into the break 7-5 up.

Kersal then had the perfect start to the second half when Blackburn attempted a deft little chip over the back line, but Luke Daldry read it and collected the ball with an outstretched arm to flick it in to the path of Tom Gill, who raced through to score. 

Blackburn did not give up and played out the last eight minutes determined to claw something back.

And they got rewards for their determination right at the death following a battle inside the Kersal five-metre line.

They earned a deserved last-minute try but with tries from, Tom Sullivan, Gill, Aiden Silgram and Jay Thompson, and conversions from Max Brookes, it was another impressive performance from the Kersal Colts.

The u14s were also at home against Marlow and Caldy in a three-way fixture which served up a feast of rugby.

The hosts' first game was against Caldy who had just played some impressive rugby to beat Marlow by five tries to two.

Kersal beat them 17-5 before then seeing off Marlow 26-0.

With tries from Will Riley, Harrison Davies, Josh Higgin, Maximus Nikou, Ethan Steward, Josh Whittle and conversions from Max Hastings, Kersal showed what a good squad of players they now have.

The u13s lost 40-35 at Sandbach and will look to bounce back on Sunday when they face Ramsey from the Isle of Man in the first round of the Cheshire Cup at Birkenhead Park.