A MELTED plastic container on top of an electric oven sparked a fire in Urmston.

Just after 7.30pm three engines from Stretford, Sale and Salford were called to reports of a fire in a semi-detached property on Stretford Road.

On arrival firefighters led to safety one woman while crews used two breathing apparatus, one hose and a ventilation fan to tackle a kitchen fire involving a melted plastic container on top of an electric oven.

GMFRS also fitted two smoke alarms in the property and were on the scene for roughly an hour.

GMFRS have warned residents that most fires they are alerted to start in the Kitchen and urged people to read 'Safety in the Kitchen' on their website - manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/fire_safety_advice/safety_in_kitchen/