Flixton 0

FLIXTON travelled to Workington for the opening game of the season.

Newly-promoted Workington champions of the North West Trains have made tremendous strides since their relegation one season ago.

Three major signings all with football league experiences, Derek Mountfield, ex Everton, Paul Fitzpatrick Notts Forest, England International, Paul Stewart ex Liverpool/Man City.

The game started with over 1000 spectators early anticipating a home win.

Flixton's young players were not about to be overawed by Workington.

The game started in a brisk fashion with Workington having all the early play.

Keith Kettle in the Flixton goal made series of outstanding saves from Darren Wilson and Kevin Framton.

Flixton gradually got back in the game with Anthony Hogan and the impressive Matthew Henney now dominating the mid-field battle.

Although dominating in midfield, Flixtons forwards were well marshalled by Mountfield and Jones.

Just when Flixton thought they had weathered the storm sloppy defending allowed Stuart Williamson to score 6 yards out.

The first half was eight minutes into the second half started with Flixton playing with the wind and slope in their favour.

Garvey was set free by young Lee Bromley who was becoming more and more impressive as the game went on. Garvey rounded Mountfield to shoot at goal, the effort was easily saved by George Dixon in the Workington goal.

It was all Flixton with Workingtons illustrious stars having to play second fiddle to a fine young Flixton side.

Wave after wave of Flixton attacks provided by man of the match Chris Lomas with both he and James Holt having outstanding games.

Working only had one shot in the second half and that was from ex Liverpool star Paul Stewart.

With time running out Hogan was released down the left by Lomas.

Hogan fired in a low cross that was met by Tony Coyne, the striker controlled the ball with the first touch.

The second touch saw the striker round Marc Green the control defender, Green brought down Coyne with a clumsy challenge.

The referee did not hesitate and pointed to the spot, up stepped Coyne and hit a poor penalty straight at Dixon in the Workington goal.

The referee immediately blew for full time.

Flixton came away with no points to show for a very impressive display.

Flixton v Northallerton 1st Prelim FA Cup - KO Sat 21st Aug 3pm at Valley Road.

Converted for the new archive on 13 March 2001. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.