Nationwide Conference

Altrincham (1) 2 Northwich Victoria (0) 0

by Mike Crockett

Ellison 34, Landon 82

Attendance 1,713

RAMPANT Robins put an end to a seven match drawing streak with an assured 2-0 win over fierce Cheshire rivals Northwich Victoria.

Northwich, who have failed to beat Alty in their last 6 meetings, were made to suffer again, as lofty striker Richard Landon repeated the same trick he pulled in the first derby fixture last century.

A combination of a strong travelling support for the visitors and the bank holiday swelled the Moss Lane crowd to a two year record of 1,713.

New signing Shaun Goodwin, bought from Doncaster for an undisclosed fee, made his third start, in the number 6 jersey, while Hull City loan star Lee Ellington made it to the bench.

An early, probing run from Gallagher failed to put the home side in the lead as a confident Rigby came out to gather the ball.

The boot was on the other foot within a minute, when a similar chance saw Cooke chase a loose ball. Ex-Northwich keeper Dean Greygoose claimed the ball before Cooke could work any magic.

A free-kick on the edge of the 18 yard box for Northwich's Ellis also proved fruitless as Gallagher stood up and blocked the effort well.

A Ged Kielty corner on 12 minutes found an un-marked Kevin Ellison in a packed box, but Crookes' goal-line clearance kept the scores tied at 0-0.

Ian Cooke, on good form, roasted birthday boy Danny Adams to send in a pin point cross for Mark Bailey, but the striker contrived to rocket Vics' best chance of the game high, over the bar.

Tackles began to fly in with alarming regularity, as both sides tried to stamp their authority on the match, but Liverpudlian referee McGee seemed content to hand out no more than stern talking-to's.

Robins took the lead on 34 minutes when Jason Gallacher showed great creativity and enthusiasm to bolt down the right wing and send in a cross for Ellison.

Robins' top striker was unmarked on the penalty spot, and his first-time thunderbolt volley was unstoppable.

Chances for Northwich went unconverted late in the first half, as the home side held on to their slender lead.

Substitutions for both sides midway through the second half kept the kettle boiling as the teams searched for the break through.

Vics' manager Mark Gardiner brought on ex-Altrincham striker Stuart Terry, a move which brought howls of derision from the home fans; whilst Bernard Taylor brought on Andy Lovelock and lofty striker Richard Landon, in place of Ellison and Kielty.

Indeed, it was Landon who could have sewn up the points on 80 minutes when he misdirected a long-range half-volley wide of the right hand post.

He made amends a mere 2 minutes later, however. He beat Crookes before enticing Rigby off his line and beating him with a sweet lob.

The Robins defended their lead in numbers in the dying minutes, and despite brave efforts from Northwich, they held on for their first win in seven matches.

Converted for the new archive on 13 March 2001. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.