Andrew Western, MP for Stretford and Urmston, has spoken on social media after an 'incident' occurred at his home last night (July 6).

The MP, who has just been re-elected in the general election, has said an 'incident' occurred at his home but that he is 'absolutely fine and no one was hurt'.

Mr Western said: "The toxicity in our politics at present must be drawn out.

"The harassment, intimidation and abuse of politicians is not ok and is not normal. That said it is becoming an ever more regular occurrence.

"I am proud to represent the people of Stretford and Urmston and I will not be cowed as I seek to serve them to the best of my ability."

Mr Western was re-elected with a majority of more than 16,000 on July 4Mr Western was re-elected with a majority of more than 16,000 on July 4 (Image: PA)

He then thanked Greater Manchester Police for 'an excellent response' and added: "These idiots do not speak for our community and I will do all I can to ensure they never do."

He said that GMP is now investigating the incident under Operation Bridger. 

The operation was set up in 2016 after increased threats to MPs following a debate on Syria late in the year prior (2015).

It also came in the wake of the murder of Jo Cox, who was killed while holding an MP's surgery in her constituency. 

October 2021 saw the operation back in the headlines after another MP, Sir David Amess, was also murdered at a constituency surgery. 

The murder of Sir Amess saw the National Police Chiefs' Council state that every MP would be contacted by a local Chief Constable to arrange security arrangements.

However, Mr Western was not in his current office then and was instead the leader of Trafford Council. 

Comments on Mr Western's post saw people wishing him well and messages of support including Labour youth officer for Heywood and Middleton North, Connor Stanisauskis, saying: "Sorry you had to go through that Andrew.

"The attempted intimidation of politicians is not acceptable and those who seek to undermine our democracy should be punished accordingly."

Greater Manchester Police said: "

"We were made aware of reports of criminal damage at a property in Urmston at around 12.30am on Sunday 7 July 2024.

Enquiries are ongoing."