Four young men have been found guilty for their involvement in the death of Kennie Carter in Stretford more than two years ago.

Sixteen-year-old Kennie was stabbed in the chest while he was walking home along Thirlmere Avenue on January 22, 2022, just one street away from his home.

Several public appeals were made before 10 individuals went on trial for 11 weeks earlier this year at Manchester Crown Court, accused of murdering Kennie.

Now, after the jury deliberated for weeks, they have returned their verdicts, finding four young men responsible for Kennie's death.

Kennie's mother said he brightened up every day with his cheeky smileKennie's mother said he brightened up every day with his cheeky smile (Image: GMP)

A 16-year-old boy has been found guilty of murdering Kennie Carter by a majority verdict.

Meanwhile, Latif Ferguson, 18, of Old Trafford, and two 16-year-olds have been found guilty of manslaughter by majority.

Six others now aged between 15 and 19 were found not guilty of murder and manslaughter.

On January 22, 2022, a group of boys travelled from Hulme to Stretford looking for retribution following an incident the evening before.

They went to a block of flats where they knew Kennie’s friends would typically hang out and whilst there, stole three bikes, and a witness heard them shout ‘This is revenge’.

Kennie was made aware a group of boys were in the area and later headed home but as he passed the group on Moss Road, he became their focus.  

He was killed following a single stab wound to the chest whilst he was on the phone, with the group of boys running from the scene, none of them providing him with any medical assistance calling for an ambulance.

Kennie was rushed to hospital but died as a result of his injuries.

Detective Chief Inspector Nicola McCulloch from our Major Incident Team said: “Firstly, I would like to express my deepest condolences to Kennie’s mum Joan and dad Glen, his wider family and friends as well as the rest of the Carter family.

“It’s been nearly two-and-a-half years since Kennie was taken from them in this spiteful attack, and it has been extremely difficult for them in court. They’ve had to watch and listen to Kennie’s last moments many times; something no family should have to experience.

“This case serves as a sobering reminder of the destruction carrying and using knives can cause, not only has one boy lost his life, but since that tragic evening many more have been irreversibly impacted.

“I would like to thank the entire team for their hard work and dedication throughout this complex investigation. I would also like to express my gratitude for the CPS and prosecution who have worked closely with us.”

Paying tribute to her son, Kennie's mother Joan said: “Kennie brightened up every day with his cheeky smile and his bubbly personality, he was always acting daft, telling jokes and generally being a 16-year-old boy, he had everything to live for.

“He was our baby, the youngest of our four children, and just starting out in life. He had so many plans for his future, he was about to start applying for college, wanting to design artwork on cars.

“He was a very talented artist; I hadn’t realised how artistic he was until one of his teachers showed us his drawings and they were genuinely impressive.

“Life since the day of his murder has not been the same, we all miss Kennie so much, every day I wake up thinking of him, I dream about him regularly.

“We are still stuck on the day Kennie was killed and I feel people are moving on and forgetting about our Kennie. Life has stopped for us and will never ever be the same.”

The three sixteen-year-olds and Latif Ferguson will all be sentenced on Friday, July 26.