Firefighters attended a tower after a report of a fire at the residence in Stretford.

They were called to Stretford House at around 5am on Wednesday (January 10).

According to Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service firefighters from Stretford Fire Station and Sale Fire Station attended the tower.

The fire was in a communal area of the residence on Chapel Lane, which is run by the housing association L&Q, with a photograph from one resident suggesting a doormat was set alight.

Messenger Newspapers: A photo from a resident

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said: "At just after 5am today (January 10) two fire engines from Stretford and Sale fire stations were called to a small fire in a communal area of a high rise building on Chapel Lane.

"Firefighters extinguished the fire and made the scene safe. Crews were in attendance for around 45 minutes."

Christina Todd, Head of Housing Management at L&Q, said: “We can confirm there was a very small fire at Stretford House in the early hours of January 10. No one was harmed, and the fire brigade attended and dealt with it quickly and with minimal impact.

"The safety of the rest of the building is unaffected and L&Q is providing support for residents impacted by this.”

This article was written by Jack Tooth. To contact him, email or follow @JTRTooth on Twitter.