An inquest into the death of an "amazing" and "talented" transgender teenager who died from injured he suffered on a Prestwich mental health ward will open next week.

Charlie Millers, 17, from Stretford, died in December 2020 from injuries he sustained while a mental health patient on the Junction 17 ward at Prestwich Hospital.

A few days before his death, Charlie had been taken to North Manchester General Hospital A&E to have staples after self-harming on the ward.

After returning to Junction 17, Charlie attempted to take his own life and was taken to the Salford Royal Hospital, where he died five days later on December 7, 2020.

Earlier that month, Charlie had been taken to A&E following another suicide attempt and was supposed to have been subject to 1-2-1 observations by hospital staff.

An inquest, set to open on Monday, January 30, will now examine the circumstances and care provided by Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, Trafford Borough Council and five other interested persons.

He was one of three young people to die at the hospital in less than a year.

Charlie was a talented artist who loved Morris dancing, football and animals.

His family describe him as "an amazing human" with a "smile that affected and melted away a thousand hearts" who made time for others regardless of how much he was struggling.

Charlie had experienced behavioural issues since primary school and mental ill health since the age of 11, he had been diagnosed with ADHD and autism.

At the time of his death, Charlie was receiving gender affirming healthcare and attending a gender clinic.

He had experienced some bullying at school as a result of his gender identity, which contributed to his poor mental health.

As he got older, Charlie’s mental health deteriorated further including serious self-harming behaviour.

Charlie was receiving support from Trafford Social Services but due to significant deterioration in his mental health he was admitted under section to Junction 17 on three occasions, including after multiple self-harming incidents, in the months and weeks before his death.

He was frequently discharged, only to be returned to the ward shortly after.

Charlie was admitted to the ward for the final time for six weeks from October 20, 2020, with occasional days of leave.

Charlie’s family have serious concerns about the care he received from Junction 17.

In the month before Charlie’s death, his mother filed two complaints to healthcare regulator, the Care Quality Commission, about the ward.

The inquest will be held before a jury and will consider the care provided to Charlie in the five months before his death, including discharge planning and care and treatment in the community.

It will also examine inpatient care at Junction 17, including the level of observations and behaviour management, staffing levels and training, and communication between professionals.

The inquest will also look into the events of December 2, 2020, when Charlie sustained fatal injuries on the ward.