A DRINK-driver has been jailed for seven years after causing the death of an Old Trafford man by running a red light.

And the family of victim Ronald Brown has pledged to lobby tirelessly for increased punishments for death-drivers - so the 56-year-old's death will not have been in vain.

David Edmonds, 36, had been careering through the area at more than two-and-a-half times the speed limit when his Seat Altea smashed into a Vauxhall Astra driven by Mr Brown.

The victim's car, which had been negotiating the junction of Talbot Road and Kings Road, was spun so hard by the impact it crashed into a nearby lamp-post, police say.

Mr Brown was left trapped inside the vehicle, it was discovered, and died from his injuries at the scene.

Edmonds, of Northdown Avenue, Manchester, was imprisoned at Manchester Crown Court after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, driving while uninsured and failing to provide a specimen for analysis. He was also banned from driving for eight years and six months.

Police say Edmonds, in the early hours of Sunday 4 April, was seen on CCTV speeding in his Altea as he turned from Talbot Road onto Seymour Grove at such a speed that he drifted into the opposite carriageway as he did so.

And less than a minute later, Edmonds approached the junction with Kings Road and drove through a red light at speeds of 74mph in a 30 zone, which saw him collide with Mr Brown's car, which had been driving straight on through a green light.

Edmonds's car struck the Astra with such force it is said to have caused Mr Brown's vehicle to rotate and collide with a lamppost at the junction.

Investigators found that due to the severity of his injuries, Mr Brown was unable to get out of his vehicle as it set alight and he died at the scene. Edmonds was arrested later.

Police say he was taken to hospital where he initially consented to giving a blood sample, as per drink driving procedure.

But after moving to another part of the hospital after displaying coronavirus symptoms, according to police, Edmonds became aggressive towards medical staff and was then reluctant to allow officers to take a sample.

Speaking after the case, his sister Janice Brown said: "Our family has been left devastated by the senseless and preventable loss of Ronald

"He was a much-loved son, dad, brother, friend and so much more to so many people. He was a decent, loving human being who deserved to live a long and happy life.

"On April 4, his life was cut short in the most brutal way by the irresponsible, reckless and selfish actions of an individual who is not worthy of being named.

"Whatever sentence that individual received today, it will never be enough to heal the lifetime of pain that our family and friends now have to endure.

"This is due to the failure of the previous government to fulfil a pledge made in 2017 to raise the maximum sentence for causing death by dangerous driving from 14 years to life imprisonment.

"In July, former Prime Minister Theresa May launched a fresh bid to get this law changed. She was successful at the first reading, but there are still many stages to go through, and she needs support from across Parliament.

"I am therefore calling on every member of the British public to contact their own MP, whether they are Government or Opposition, and ask them to support Mrs May’s bill when it goes for its second reading later this week .

"My brother would have fought for justice for every member of his family, and we will not forsake him. We are determined that his death will not be in vain, and we are determined to get justice for him and for the other victims of dangerous drivers."

She also thanked police crash investigators and a family liasion officer for the assistance they had provided for the family.

Pc Karl Horner, of GMP's serious collision investigation unit, added: "This was an utterly tragic incident - Ronald was a much-loved family-man who has been robbed of his life, and his loss has left his family absolutely devastated.

"The shocking recklessness of Edmonds' driving was outrageous and selfish - travelling at well-over twice the speed limit of a built-up area. There is small comfort that justice has today been served but this incident should never have happened.

"It is absolutely vital that those who use our roads do so in a safe and considerate manner. Next time anyone thinks they can go over the speed limit and disregard the safety of others, I ask them to remember this case and to think of the horrendous consequences that they could inflict.

"Edmonds needs to spend this time behind bars to think about his actions and to consider the impact that they have had on Ronald's loved ones. Our roads are much safer now that this man is locked away and today's verdict has ensured this."