TWO investigations have been launched after a man was tasered by a GMP officer in Stretford, whilst a child watched on.

Shortly before 11pm on May 6, officers ordered a vehicle being driven unsafely at high speed on Chester Road.

The vehicle was stopped and the driver, Desmond Ziggy Mombeyarara, 34,of Cornbrook Park Road, Old Trafford was arrested and subsequently charged with two counts of resisting a constable in the execution of their duty, a count of driving at excess speed, a count of not having vehicle insurance, a count of being unfit to drive through drink, a count of failing without reasonable excuse to co-operate with a preliminary test, a count of failing to stop when required to do so and one count of unnecessary travel.

He was remanded in custody and was set to appear before Manchester Magistrates Court on Friday 8 May.

Concerns were raised about the incident on social media as footage appeared to show the child distressed as his dad was on the floor.

Superintendent Mark Kenny, said: "I can fully understand public concern regarding the incident. The expectation for the Police Force is that officers uphold the highest standards. I can reassure you that the young child inn the film clip is safe. I would like to reassure the public that officers on the evening made sure that the child was safe and was taken to a close family member to be looked after, in consultation with the father. The police officers concerned had body worn video cameras which means that the entrire incident is recorded and this has been retained to ensure there is a clear record of what happened.

"The priority now is to conduct a full investigation to establish the facts before decisions are made. Manchester Magistrates Court will hear the matter relating to the charges. There were a number of charges and a decision will be made in court regarding the matters at a future date."

Supt Kenny added that the matter was referred to the Independent Officer for Police Conduct (IOPC) by GMP.