FIREFIGHTERS rescued a woman from a house after food left cooking sparked a fire scare at teatime.

Crews from Altrincham, Sale and Stretford were called to a semi-detached house in Barlow House at 6.16pm yesterday.

Firefighters rescued the woman from the house and dealt with the food smoking in the oven.

Now officers are warning people not to leave cooking unattended to help cut the risk of fires breaking out.

Paul Etches, Head of Prevention, said: “Thanks to a working smoke alarm this incident saw no injuries and thankfully did not develop into something much worse.

“It only takes seconds for a fire to start so the importance of a working smoke alarm cannot be overstated.

“Never leave your cooking unattended as the consequences may be severe.

“Make sure you test your smoke alarm. It may save your life.”

A specialist trauma technician assessed the lady who suffered no injuries.

Firefighters were on the scene for approximately 30 minutes.