A 29-year-old man who crashed on the A666 died of traumatic head injuries the inquest into his death heard.

Dean Gray had been visiting his friend Heath Waring and was driving back to his home in Baguley Crescent, Middleton when his car veered across the lane and into the crash barriers on the side of the dual carriageway.

His family was told he died instantly.

Mr Gray died on Sunday, October 8, 2017 and yesterday the inquest into his death was heard at Bolton Coroner's Court in Paderborn House.

Acting senior coroner Alan Walsh gave a cause of death of traumatic head injury and recorded a verdict of road traffic collision.

When Mr Gray died his mother Catherine Johnstone said: "Dean was a cheeky chap with a heart of gold, I can’t believe my boy has gone. He was my life, my world, my everything."

Mr Waring said Mr Gray had visited him on the Saturday evening and had drunk two bottles of Bulmers cider with him and his wife. They had a chat in the garden during which Mr Gray told him: "I love you like my dad."

Mr Waring told the inquest: "He was part of the family. We used to take him on holiday in the caravan."

Driving back to Middleton Mr Gray overtook Priyesh Vekaria who was driving himself and his wife home that night.

Mr Vekaria gave evidence to the inquest saying the car came suddenly from behind him and "fishtailed" a little before heading down onto theA666 from Bridgeman Place.

Mr Vekaria followed Mr Gray down onto the A666 and was behind him for a time, after the speed camera, which has since been replaced by an average speed system, Mr Vekaria saw the BMW speed up.

He estimated the car was going "80 to 90 mph". Mr Walsh read Mr Vekaria's statement which said: "It was so quick, I just saw a flash of light climb the tree, do a u-turn in the tree and drop back down."

Mr Vekaria described that he had seen the car hit the crash barrier at a 90 degree angle.

Mr Vekaria stopped and tried to help Mr Gray. He also called the emergency services and Mr Gray was pronounced dead at the scene.

PC Adrian Pye told the inquest there was in evidence that the driver had tried to stop or turn the car.

The crash happened on the southbound carriageway close to the temporary Network Rail access.

During the course of the police investigation concerns were raised about the safety of the barriers there.

Mr Walsh pursued these concerns with Network Rail, Bolton Council, Protek Fencing, Buckingham Group, UDP and Royal Haskoning, who have all had dealings with the barriers between 2015 and the time of the crash.

It was resolved that Network Rail and Bolton Council would meet in the next seven days to discuss the barriers and make sure they were fit and proper. If not the two bodies agreed to sort any problems out.