EMERGENCY fire crews tackled a blaze in Stretford on Sunday morning.

Six fire engines and special appliances were on the scene at the Gorse Hill pub, Chester Road at 11.20am.

The fire started in the kitchen of the three storey building and was well alight when crews arrived.

Three people managed to escape and were treated on scene by ambulance crews for minor smoke inhalation.

Chester Road northbound was closed during the blaze but was reopened after the fire was dealt with.

Firefighters from Stretford, Salford, Sale and Moss Side attended and included a technical response unit, major response unit, a hose laying lorry, hydraulic platform, breathing apparatus units and a command support unit.

Crews used five hose reels, two jets, 12 breathing apparatus, lighting and a positive pressure ventilation fan to fight the fire.

Incident commander Steve Jordan said: “Crews worked incredibly hard and efficiently to bring this incident under control fast.

“We’re confident the fire is out and have checked the whole building, there are only three casualties with minor smoke inhalation who have been treated.

"We’ve managed to re-open the blocked road and the incident is scaling down, although some crews will remain on scene to make sure the area is safe."