A DOG had a lucky escape after a digital pet monitor revealed his house was on fire.

The dog narrowly escaped an horrific ending when its owners checked the monitor via a phone

Leanne Petit, aged 27, and her boyfriend Ed Johnson, aged 28, were out for dinner and they wanted to make sure Staffordshire bull terrier Frank was behaving himself.

So they opened a mobile phone app linked to a camera which live streams a video feed from their living room.

They were puzzled to see the hazy image of the living room and wondered if the camera was playing up.

But Ed then noticed a flame in the corner of the screen and was horrified to realise the room was on fire and the haze was smoke rapidly filling the living room.

A rechargeable battery sparked the fire.

When he activated the audio on his Clever Dog Pet Monitor. he could hear the fire alarm going off.

The terrified couple dialled 999 and left the restaurant to make the 20-minute drive back to their home in Altrincham.

When they arrived home, they found the fire brigade had beaten them to it and already put out the fire.

Frank had escaped injury by sticking his nose out of the letterbox to get to the fresh air whilst the firefighters worked to rescue him

The pet monitor showed all angles of the downstairs of the house.

The cause of the fire was a rechargeable battery which sparked and set fire to the carpet under Frank's chair.

Frank was checked over by a vet and given the all clear.

Care home worker Leanne and engineer Ed have bought a second and third Clever Dog Pet Monitor so they can see the whole of the downstairs from all angles.

A spokesman for DoggieGadgets.com, which sells the device, said: “We are genuinely thrilled that one of our gadgets managed to help save a dog's life and prevented a house from catching on fire.

“We were all a bit shocked and stunned in the DoggieGadgets office when we read the customer review that Ed had posted, letting us know about the fire.

“These are the stories we love to hear from our customers.”