Send us news, start your message Messenger News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Youthforia - The North West's own youth forum
Sunday. It’s this time of the month again where yet another Youthforia meeting is held, this time in Oldham. We were told that we were going to be focusing on Job Opportunities and that later on, a Question Time debate would commence with guest speakers. The first session on the morning was about the Young People’s services draft made by the Government. We then answered questions about Young People’s services and what our opinions were.
I heard interesting stories about some youth councils being completely cut and others were just about managing. I realised how lucky Trafford were; how our youth cabinet and young people’s services are protected. We had a chance to draw some questions for our guest speakers for the debate later on.
We had lunch which absolutely delicious! After lunch, we proceeded with the debate which included Paul Atchinson, ex-MYP for Wirral, who is now an elected Councillor! Others were councillors of Oldham, and 2 young people who are currently on the Youthforia Select Committee. There were some interesting questions to which had great responses by the panel.
One of the members on the panel raised a point about youth unemployment being linked with ‘poor financial education’. Out of interest, I tweeted my MP Kate Green (Stretford and Urmston) asking her whether she thought financial education should be compulsory for young people, to which she replied ‘I am in favour. Young people need good financial skills.’ Shereen Patel
In this section
- Members discuss emotional health and wellbeing of young people
- Members discuss guides for working with young people of faith and English exams
- Bus drivers and getting involved in a new nhs watchdog
- Members interviewing for Trafford's new Chief Executive
- Members meet in local coffee shop
- Members work on transport issues for young people in Trafford.
- Members do some campaign planning
- Members plan for the coming year
- Members tell the police authority what issues they think the police should be focussing on
- Members discuss the future of libraries in Trafford