Ice Hockey - Manchester Phoenix v Milton Keynes Lightning

First published in Trafford Sport by

Manchester Phoenix 2-2 Guildford Flames (Cup Semi Final 1st Leg) Manchester Phoenix 5-2 Milton Keynes Lightning CIARAN Long ensured Manchester Phoenix go into the EPL cup semi-final second leg against Guildford all square with a vital equaliser on Saturday.

Phoenix, who were in danger of going behind to league leaders Guildford Flames after their home leg, came from behind twice to give themselves a fighting chance in the second game on Wednesday night.

The Flames took the lead late in the second period through Josef Kohut after the Phoenix defence turned the puck over but James Archer drew the home side level early in the final period.

David Longstaff gave the visitors the lead once more in the 53rd minute, but Phoenix fought back and Long finished off a slick move from Phoenix with Luke Boothroyd and Tom Duggan assisting to leave the sides all square for the second leg.

Meanwhile on Sunday, Phoenix returned to league action with a convincing 5-2 win over Milton Keynes Lightning.

Three goals in the first nine minutes set Tony Hand’s side on their way and they never looked back.

Long scored his second of the weekend after two minutes with an easy tap in before Juraj Faith bagged a power-play goal. Tom Duggan scored Phoenix’s third and the Lightning were forced to take an early time out to right the ship.

Ladislav Harabin grabbed Phoenix’s fourth early in the second before the Lightning staged a brief fight back with goals from Grant McPherson and Tuomas Tikkanen but Martin Cingel added a late empty net goal to seal the win.


Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree