STRETFORD Cricket Club's Hurricanes progressed to the semi-finals of the Greater Manchester Cricket League Sunday Cup with a one-wicket win against Westhoughton thirds.

The Lesley Road thirds played host to their Sunday Premier League rivals and bowled first after Westhoughton elected to bat.

The visitors made 247-8 from their 40 overs, Hamish Jefferson taking four wickets and skipper Pete Murphy bowling well to restrict Westhoughton to below 250.

Stretford opener Shabaz got the Hurricanes off to the start they needed in reply, scoring 72, while Tom Sydall took no time in putting runs on the board and reached 40 in just 22 balls.

Jefferson chipped in with a handy 20, however wickets continued to fall for Stretford.

Young star Joe Weems (43) and Chris Wagstaff (three) saw Stretford home with one ball remaining as they closed on 251-9 after a nervy final over.

The Spitfires side were also in cup action but went down to Greenmount.

After starting the game with nine men both Yas Raj and Robert Renforth were disappointed to see chances go down. However, when Stretford claimed their first scalp after 7.3 overs Greenmount had raced to 63-1.

Momentum in the innings continued as Ethan Page, Thomas Coulson and Kamran Hussain all found difficulty in stopping the top-order.

Ocean O'Malley bowled a short and effective spell of bowling – two overs for just five runs – and Mark Coulson found some joy with 3-42.

But Greenmount smashed their way to an impressive 331-5 by the close.

The second innings did not start well for Stretford with usual run-scorer Thomas Coulson and captain Page both dismissed without troubling the scorer.

Mathew Kilcourse was unlucky when a short-of-a-length delivery stayed low, and both Raj and Mark Coulson were bowled out.

O'Malley was run out after the ball popped unfortunately off the foot of one fielder into the hands of another.

Stretford were then on 55-6, however an impressive 75-run partnership from Renforth (34) and Hussain (37) brought Stretford to 130 before the latter inside edged one onto his stumps.

Renforth continued to bat with the lower order until he was dismissed and Greenmount took victory to end Stretford's interest in the cup.