OLD Trafford and Gorse Hill lost 3-2 in a thrilling Rhodes Cup clash against Tintwistle Athletic.

Holders Whalley Range, though, had few problems as they cruised to a comfortable 7-0 win against Division One side Bury Ams.

Tim Kinsella settled any Range nerves with an early double and he went on to complete a hat-trick.

Joining him in seventh heaven were John Murphy, with a trademark thunderbolt, Luke Scarry (two) and Joey Kinsella.

Last season’s runners up Mellor had a tougher tie at Parrs Wood Celtic who gave a good account of themselves before Mellor eased home 3-1.

Meanwhile, Wray Cup action saw Whalley Range seconds show their power as they overwhelmed Manchester Polonia 10-0 with Daniel Heffernan and Nick Doyle both scoring hat-tricks.

The other cup tie was a semi-final in the Hellawell Shield and in a close encounter Moorside Rangers seconds came from a goal behind to beat Manchester Rovers 2-1.

There were two games played in the Premier Division and High Lane kept up their recent good run with a clinical 5-0 win against Moston Brook.

Old Ashtonians also went nap in their local derby at Newton to lift themselves well clear of the relegation zone with their hosts still in the bottom three.

In Division One Moorside Rangers virtually sealed the title with a gritty and tense 4-3 win at Oldham Vics while Newton Heath took a step nearer to second place with a 5-3 win at promotion rivals Milton to draw level on points with Signol Athletic with a vital game in hand.

Oldham Vics showed great fighting spirit as they came from 3-1 down to draw level at 3-3.

After Vics had opened the scoring with a brilliant effort from striker Nathan Wrigley Rangers equalised with a looping header from Gilligan – normally their keeper but playing outfield due to a hand injury.

O’Shea put Rangers ahead with a solo run from the back and then workaholic Jones moved them into what looked like an unassailable lead.

After a Vics penalty had reduced the arrears they then equalised through Morris to set up a thrilling end-to-end last 10 minutes with Gilligan put through one-on-one, firing Moorside back in front for a deserved three points.

It’s still all to play for in Division Two as Mellor seconds closed the gap on non-playing leaders Waterloo to three points with a game in hand as they won their local derby at Spurley Hey 5-1.

Hooley Bridge Celtic are also in the frame and they showed their intent with a ruthless 9-0 win against Parrs Wood Celtic seconds.

The other games saw Staly Lions beat Moston Brook seconds 3-1 and AFC Oldham shared the spoils with Chorltonians in a 1-1 deadlock.

Didsbury seconds are almost home and dry in Division Three as a vital 2-1 win at Rochdalians seconds kept them seven points clear.

Salford Vics seconds kept in touch with a close 3-2 win at Chorltonians seconds which took them into second place on goal difference from Chorlts.

Santos are on a good run of form and they kept up their momentum with a 5-1 victory over Heaton Mersey and the other game had Chadderton Park beating Cheadle Hulme Athletic by the odd goal in five.

With Division A leaders Chorltonians Rovers not playing Hollingworth joined them on level points with a gritty 3-2 win hosting Hargreaves Bury but Rovers still have two games in hand.

Aldermere pulled off one of their best results of the season with a 5-1 win at Signol Athletic seconds and a mid-table tussle saw Stoconians seconds emerge with a 4-3 win at Tintwistle Athletic seconds.

There was a full programme of games in Division B and there was a rare defeat for runaway leaders Abacus Media seconds who went down 2-1 to second-placed Tintwistle Athletic thirds to keep up their hopes of overtaking the top dogs.

Village Manchester have settled into a good vein of form and a 3-0 win against Bury Ams thirds keeps them well clear in third spot from Old Trafford and Gorse Hill seconds who enjoyed a 7-1 win hosting Milton seconds.

The other games were close affairs with Bedians seconds winning 3-2 against Hillgate, Rochdale Galaxy beating Deans 5-3 and Chorltonians Villa 4-2 victors against Staly Lions seconds.

Just one game in Division C saw AFC Oldham thirds boost their hopes of escaping the bottom two with a 2-0 win at Didsbury thirds.

Division D leaders Bedians thirds lead by seven points but they need to avoid complacency as they went down 3-2 to visiting Bury Ams fourths.

But Trafford United seconds failed to take full advantage of Bedians’ slip as they were held to a 2-2 draw by Chorltonians Athletic.

Old Stretfordians thirds were in bright form as they cruised to a 4-1 win at AFC Oldham fourths and the experienced Didsbury fourth team showed their class in a 7-1 romp over Chadderton Park seconds.

The other game between Stoconians fourths and Droylsden JFC saw the teams share four goals.