Altrincham 1 Lincoln city 2

FOR the second time in a week, Altrincham suffered defeat at the hands of a full-time ex-Football League club.

But, as at Aldershot last Saturday, there were some encouraging signs for part-time Altrincham on Tuesday, although ultimately, the strength of a big, physical side proved too much.

Manager Lee Sinnott made four changes for this game, as Perry, Marshall, Sean Williams and Crowther replaced Reeves, Mike Williams, Richman and Clee in the starting eleven.

However, once again, Alty conceded an early goal, falling behind in the 12th minute, once again to a cross form the opposition's right wing, which on this occasion Jordan Burrow headed into the net at the back post.

The visitors were never reluctant to make a robust challenge, if the situation demanded it, and captain Shaun Densmore had to be replaced in the 19th minute with a foot injury, having been clattered more than once by opposition challenges.

Midfielder Jake Moult came on and did a good job in an unaccustomed right-back role.

Steven Gillespie was involved in most of Altrincham's brighter attacking moves, while the defence worked hard to keep City at bay again until the 81st minute.

Then, Lincoln's Newton got up the left wing and his fast, low cross was converted from close range by substitute Robinson.

But, as at Aldershot, Altrincham's spirit kept them attacking and they got a goal back deep into added time when the alert Damian Reeves nipped between defender and keeper to score.

Had Gillespie's earlier fierce shot not come back off the underside of the crossbar, Altrincham might have secured a point but, ultimately, they were disappointed.

As they become accustomed to playing at this higher level, Altrincham will hopefully build on their many spells of encouraging, passing football to establish themselves in the Vanarama Conference.

ALTRINCHAM: Coburn, Densmore (capt), Marshall, Havern, Griffin, Lawrie, Cavanagh, S. Williams, Crowther, Gillespie, Reeves. Subs: Clee, Reeves, Richman, Wilkinson and Moult