BARWELL belied their lowly league position with an emphatic victory at Shawe View on Saturday afternoon.

The visitors started the day just three points above the relegation zone and in the early stages Kevin Charley almost gave them the lead with a volley that grazed the crossbar.

However, it was Trafford who scored first in the 16th minute when Shelton Payne turned Barwell defender Jamie Hood inside out and cooly placed his shot just inside the far upright.

Trafford's joy was short lived as the visitors found themselves back on level terms just four minutes later, Matt Preston chesting down and volleying a right wing corner past Tom Read from eight yards.

And within a minute Barwell were in front when Ben Love struck a magnificent drive from 35 yards into the top corner for a contender of goal of the season.

The visitors were now well on top with Tony Capaldi's corners and long throws causing constant problems for the home defence and in the 24th minute Jack Edwards should have made it three but volleyed over from just six yards.

However, the third goal duly arrived in the 40th minute when Trafford only half cleared another corner and Charley neatly chipped the ball over Read from the edge of the penalty area.

Things could have been even worse for Trafford a minute before half time when yet another Capaldi corner was headed against his own post by Andy Smart.

The second half began in a rather scrappy fashion with little goalmouth action but in the 55th minute Barwell substitute Danny Griffiths broke away and was tripped by home centre back Callum Jones. Griffiths dusted himself down and cooly placed the resultant penalty just inside the right hand post.

To their credit, Trafford battled back gamely and Simon Hackney scored a superb goal in the 78th minute when he cracked a great low drive from 25 yards past the helpless Liam Castle.

Home keeper Read then brilliantly tipped a thunderous free kick by Alan Wilkes over the crossbar before pushing a Jack Edwards header past the upright for a corner.

In the dying seconds a header by substitute Mark Derbyshire was cleared off the line by Preston but the final whistle signalled a well deserved victory for the very impressive Barwell side.

Trafford will be hoping to get back to winning ways on Saturday when they travel to Nantwich Town, kick off 3pm.