Send us news, start your message Messenger News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Metrolink announced as Official Partner of ASICS Greater Manchester
Updated 5:12pm Thursday 27th March 2014 in Sport
METROLINK has been announced as an official partner of the ASICS Greater Manchester Marathon.
In recognition of its role as official partner, Metrolink is offering support for runners and supporters alike at the event, which takes place in Trafford on April 6.
Relay participants are being offered free travel to and from the relay handover points along the marathon route, while spectators will be able to take advantage of a two for one travel offer.
The spectator offer will be available to friends and family carrying a Metrolink travel voucher, which can be downloaded from the ASICS Greater Manchester Marathon website at greatermanchestermarathon.com/blog/metrolink-2-1-travel-voucher/
Viewing points are within easy reach of Metrolink stops, including the half/half relay handover point in Altrincham and the marathon start and finish lines near the Old Trafford and Exchange Quay stops.
Race director, Simon Hill, said: “We are very pleased to have Metrolink on board as a partner sponsor of the ASICS Greater Manchester Marathon 2014. Offering free travel to the relay participants is a great way for Metrolink to show its support of the event, and the 2 for 1 travel voucher will encourage even more spectators to cheer on the runners and soak up the festival atmosphere of the event all around the course.”
TfGM’s Metrolink Director, Peter Cushing, said: “With these offers, we are making life a little easier for both runners and spectators. With the road closures in place, Metrolink offers a quick, convenient and inexpensive way to access key marathon points, which are near to Metrolink stops.
“We hope that our offer will encourage people to come out and support the runners on the day and help make the 2014 ASICS Greater Manchester Marathon a huge success.”
The ASICS Greater Manchester Marathon, which takes place in Trafford on April 6, is the flattest and fastest marathon in the UK and is recognised as one of the flattest courses in the world with only 54m elevation gain. Starting and finishing at Manchester United Football Club, Old Trafford, the ASICS Greater Manchester Marathon includes the two leg ‘half/half’ relay and the ‘four leg’ relay aimed at anyone wishing to run a shorter distance whilst still experiencing the race day atmosphere.
A total of 10,000 entries are available for the 2014 race and all finishers receive a medal, goody bag and ASICS technical t-shirt. ASICS is the title sponsor for the Greater Manchester Marathon. Other sponsors and partners include Up & Running, Clif Bar, AfterShokz, Metrolink, Myers Lister Price Solicitors, TWJ Partnership Accountants, Trafford Council and Virgin Money Giving. .
Visit greatermanchestermarathon.com for further race details and to register.
* There will be a ‘free festival’ entertainment programme for runners and spectators on race day, April 6.
Key entertainment details and locations include: • Gorse Hill Studios at Gorse Hill, 8km and 41 km.
• Sale brass band at Sale Waterside, 12 km.
• Trinity Methodist Choir at Sale Moor, 13 km.
• The Brook DJ at Brooklands (The Brook), 14 km & 26 km.
• Trafford Youth Orchestra at Brooklands (St John the Divine), 15km & 23 km.
• Frank Sidebottom / Frank’s Army and the Rock Choir at Timperley Village, 16 km & 23 km.
• Altrincham Children’s Choir, Loose Change and Rock Choir at Altrincham, 21 km.
• Junior ice hockey team jelly baby stall at Altrincham.
• Tomahawks, Firsway School, Friends of Dainewell Park, The Manor House and Café 56 / Life Centre at Sale West, 28km – 30 km.
• Greater Manchester Fire Service at Carrington, 31 km.
• Trafford Youth Orchestra at Flixton, 33 km.
• TSG Cheer: UA Manchester on the finish straight, 42 km.