TRAFFORD produced a magnificent second half comeback to defeat Buxton 2-1 at Silverlands in their Evo Stik Premier Division clash on Saturday.

The hosts were on top in the opening stages with Liam Hardy cutting in from the left in the sixth minute but shooting weakly at Tom Read and centre half Ash Palmer heading a free straight into Read’s hands shortly afterwards.

But their best chance was gifted by young Trafford midfielder Tom Schofield in the 13th minute when he misplaced a pass on the edge of his penalty area allowing Lee Morris to bear down on goal but fortunately Read once more came to the rescue with a brilliant save.

Defences then dominated before Buxton’s Sam Brooks replicated Schofield’s error in the 25th minute when his weak back pass was seized upon by Rory Fallon but Andy Warrington saved at the second attempt.

A neatly worked corner by the visitors ended with Shelton Payne’s drive being cleared off the line and on the half hour a slick move by Buxton saw Read parry an Alistair Taylor thunderbolt.

Disaster struck for Trafford just three minutes before half time when a quickly taken free kick was played to Taylor who crossed hard and low for Craig King to side-foot past Read from just four yards.

Trafford’s second half performance was a revelation as they totally dominated throughout and Shelton Payne should have equalised in the 51st minute but miscontrolled with just Warrington to beat.

However, 10 minutes later Payne made amends for that miss with a defence splitting pass that allowed Paul Ashton to cross from the left and Michael Oates had the simplest of tasks in volleying home from close range.

Payne then fired a dipping, curling drive inches over the crossbar before the visitors were rewarded for their dominance with the winning goal in the 76th minute. Rory Fallon seized upon the ball in midfield and burst past three static Buxton defenders before passing inside to Oates. The busy Trafford striker simply laid the ball into the path of substitute Simon Hackney who struck a sweet low drive inside the far upright from 20 yards.

Buxton mounted a late flurry of attacks in an attempt to get back on level terms but were twice thwarted by keeper Tom Read who saved brilliantly to push a Hardy header over the crossbar and then flung himself to his right to push a stinging effort from Morris to safety.

The final whistle signalled a tremendous but well deserved victory for Trafford who will now be hoping to capitalise with two home games in four days, against Stocksbridge Park Steels on Saturday and Worksop Town on Tuesday night.