Prospective MPs tear into party politics

POLITICAL rivals contesting the Stretford and Urmston seat tore straight into each other less than day after Gordon Brown fired the election starting pistol.

Both Labour’s Kate Green and the Tory’s Alex Williams welcomed the May 6 election date formally announced on Tuesday, but also used the announcement to attack either other’s policies.

Kate, who described the impending election as the most important for a generation, said: “Labour took the tough decisions to take us through the recession. Let’s not throw it all away with a Tory party that would take away support for families whilst offering tax cuts for the wealthiest few .

“Labour has got the big decisions right. Our priorities will always be jobs, prosperity and higher standards of living for families.

“The threat from the Conservatives is real. They would cut support to the economy now – choking off recovery and risking jobs, It is only Labour who will deliver a future, fair for all.

“The choice is clear for Stretford and Urmston, if you value your Sure Start centre, if you want to protect our frontline services, including schools and police from Conservative cuts then give your support to Labour on May 6.”

But Alex Williams accused Labour of using ‘politics of fear’ and ‘scaremongering’.

"We’re getting a great response from residents who are warming to our message of positive change,” he said. “Meanwhile, the Labour party are descending into the politics of fear with yet more false allegations and scaremongering.

"Local people have a clear choice in this election. We don't have to put up with five more years of Gordon Brown or the London candidate he has imposed on us.

“I have a proven track record of fighting for local people and improving local services. That's why I think I would make the best MP for Stretford and Urmston - so I can go on helping local people."

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:10pm Fri 9 Apr 10

hadituptohere says...

Kate Green says that 'Labour's priorities will always be jobs and prosperity.' Jobs for whom may I ask? Since Blair took over in 1997 Labour created 1,680,000 new jobs. ( Government figures ) Guess where they all went? 98.5% went to immigrants they imported into the country leaving a mere 1.5% for our own people. Labour's 1997 manifesto kept secret Blair, Straw and Blunkett's intention to flood the country with immigration. Big business was the winner. Millions of extra 'cheap labourers' to work for minimum wages forcing hard working Brits into the despair of benifits culture. Now we see the old-gang parties of LibLabCon all scrambling for the immigrant vote. Shameful.
Just where is this 'prosperity' in Stretford that she drones on about? 'British jobs for British workers' was the slogan Gordon Brown nicked from the BNP, a blatent lie he will never live down.
My message is remember the £££'s expenses and allowances rip-off £££'s by these crooks and shysters, tell them where to go... nicely of course.
Kate Green says that 'Labour's priorities will always be jobs and prosperity.' Jobs for whom may I ask? Since Blair took over in 1997 Labour created 1,680,000 new jobs. ( Government figures ) Guess where they all went? 98.5% went to immigrants they imported into the country leaving a mere 1.5% for our own people. Labour's 1997 manifesto kept secret Blair, Straw and Blunkett's intention to flood the country with immigration. Big business was the winner. Millions of extra 'cheap labourers' to work for minimum wages forcing hard working Brits into the despair of benifits culture. Now we see the old-gang parties of LibLabCon all scrambling for the immigrant vote. Shameful. Just where is this 'prosperity' in Stretford that she drones on about? 'British jobs for British workers' was the slogan Gordon Brown nicked from the BNP, a blatent lie he will never live down. My message is remember the £££'s expenses and allowances rip-off £££'s by these crooks and shysters, tell them where to go... nicely of course. hadituptohere

11:06pm Mon 19 Apr 10

hadituptohere says...

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, don't fall for any of them. Punish the pigs.
Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, don't fall for any of them. Punish the pigs. hadituptohere

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree