Send us news, start your message Messenger News and your send photos and videos to 80360
A ‘Pop up’ for wellbeing event comes to Altrincham
6:00pm Tuesday 19th February 2013 in News
A HEALTH promotion initiative is being held in Altrincham.
The ‘Pop up’ for wellbeing event uses music, arts and crafts to promote positive health messages.
Altrincham Forward has worked with partners, Trafford Council, Trafford Community Leisure Trust, NHS Trafford and the Health and Wellbeing Board, Stamford Quarter and SCILightArts to bring the event to 59 George Street from February 23 to March 2. Opening times 10am to 4pm.
The Pop Up Shop will offer a range of activities for a week including: • Music from Seed Studios and BOOMbox volunteers, including an ‘open mic’ night.
• Health assessments carried out by Trafford Community Leisure Trust.
• Information about cycling projects and bicycle maintenance carried out by ChainLink volunteers.
• Complementary therapies.
• Art and craft sessions and opportunities to engage in meaningful dialogue about mental health, run by SCILightARTS volunteers.
• Information about healthy eating, smoking cessation and alcohol awareness led by NHS Trafford and the Health and Wellbeing Board.
• Information about volunteering.
The activities are focused around the findings of the Foresight Mental Capital and Wellbeing project (2008) which found that for good mental health and wellbeing, the ‘5-a-day’ should be ‘Connect, Be Active, Take Notice, Keep Learning and Give.’ SCILightARTS is a user-led community group, made up of people who have experienced mental health distress, which uses creativity as a tool to promote confidence and recovery.
Trafford Council, NHS Trafford and the Health and Wellbeing Board have helped the group to develop the ‘pop up’ project and successfully bid for Big Lottery Funding to support it.
Julie Howarth of SCILightARTS said: “If the event is successful we will be looking to work with partners to deliver the event in other town centres across Trafford later on in the year.”
Comments are closed on this article.