Send us news, start your message Messenger News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Timperley man injured when setting of Chinese lantern to mark New Year
10:47am Wednesday 2nd January 2013 in News
AN inexpertly lit Chinese lantern led a Timperley man to require treatment for burns.
A crew from Altrincham Fire Station were called to Birch Road at around 1.40am on January 1 after reports that a man had been burnt when trying to light a chinese lantern to celebrate the New Year.
The 50-year-old man suffered burns to his fingers and the palms of his hands, which were dressed by firefighters.
An ambulance had been called, but the man declined hospital treatment and the vehicle was stood down before it arrived at the scene.
Cllr David Acton, chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: "While festivities might already be a distant memory for most, the people involved in these incidents will have stark and unpleasant reminders for some time to come.
"Fireworks and Chinese lanterns can be extremely dangerous - as the injuries and fires GMFRS' crews attended on New Year's Day prove - and should be used very carefully.
"Thankfully, our firefighters were there quickly to help these people and it seems that none of those involved was seriously injured."