THE new logo of Altrincham and Bowdon Civic Society was unveiled at its AGM. It is inspired by the shield of the 5th Hamon de Massey, who established Altrincham as a Charter market town in 1290.
The shield with its quartering and lion has additional images representing the interests of the civic society being: heritage; historic buildings; maximising the use of the market area; trees and green open spaces; quality public realm and sharing our streets, as well as the voice of the community.
It was designed by Native Studios Ltd, Manchester and sponsored by a kind donor.
The AGM gave updates on some of the Civic Society's activities during the year, including campaigns for street clutter removal, sharing our streets and tree planting; input into the new hospital and the Market Quarter plans and advising on Conservation Areas. Some of the Heritage Lottery Fund volunteer projects were also described.
The presentation on 'Altrincham Forward – Making Change Happen' by its representative Helen France, was made to a full house of members and visitors. The positive initiatives for the town already in place and imminent were outlined. These included a new pedestrian and traffic movement strategy, an improved public realm and a new library at the market end of the old hospital site.
During the evening, challenging questions and comments showed the passion of the residents and community coordinators for their town. Much concern was expressed at the reduction of drop-off/collection points due to numerous new double yellow lines on curbs, not done to Conservation Area standards; the possibility of the new community library and hub being only on the first floor and the poor access of the Oakfield Road car park to the main town centre.
The general need to engage the upcoming generation in civic matters was highlighted and discussed.
To find out more about Altrincham and Bowdon Civic Society and for a membership form, please visit http://altrinchamandbowdoncs.com or ring the Chair, Judie Collins on 0161 962 7108.