MOST of us hope for a happy Christmas but for Vikki Capon from Urmston it’s guaranteed this year thanks to Gas Safe Register – who have paid her gas bill for a year.

Vikki won Gas Safe Register’s competition to have her gas bill paid having signed up at Manchester’s Arndale Centre.

The Gas Safe Register team were at the shopping centre at the end of October to sign people up for a free gas safety check reminder service via The annual email alert reminds people to get their gas appliances checked by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. Almost 1,000 people signed up and Vikki was randomly selected as the winner.

Vikki, who lives with her mum, said: “I never thought we’d win. It was such a shock. My mum’s absolutely over the moon. We’re going to use the money that’s been saved towards Christmas presents, which we wouldn’t usually be able to afford. It will make Christmas extra special this year. It’s fantastic!”

Gas Safe Register were in the North West after it was identified as one of the worst areas for gas safety in the UK.

In the past 12 months in the region, 690 gas appliances were tested by the Gas Safe Register with a massive 93 per cent found to be potentially unsafe meaning that the appliances could be leaking carbon monoxide.

Carbon Monoxide, a potentially fatal gas, can leak from faulty household gas appliances such as the boiler, gas cooker or fire. Often referred to as the silent killer, it is tasteless, colourless and odourless and is suspected to kill 50 and hospitalise at least 4000 people each year.

Vikki said: “I signed up and was entered into the prize draw because I wanted to be reminded to check our gas appliances each year. It’s so important for people to be aware of the dangers.

“I would encourage anyone who hasn’t already signed up to do so.”

You can sign up at