Send us news, start your message Messenger News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Girl, 7, rescued from sofa by Sale firefighters
FOUR firefighters had to rescue a seven-year-old girl who got her foot stuck in a sofa. (October 3) Josephine Royle, of Merton Road, Sale, was playing on her black recliner sofa last Wednesday evening and was about to go to bed, when she slipped and her foot became trapped.
“It was like something out of a cartoon,” said her mum Jacqueline. “I’d just come in with her reading book and she stood up and then just sort of slipped and said she couldn’t move.
“I said ‘don’t be silly’ but then I couldn’t pull her out either.”
Josephine’s parents then pulled the leather settee out and tried to retrieve the Park Road Primary School pupil together, but could not do so and called the fire brigade.
“They fire brigade were here within about eight minutes, they were absolutely fantastic,” said Jacqueline.
The crew from Sale White Watch asked Josephine to alter the position of her foot and were able to rescue her from the depths of the sofa relatively quickly.
They then gave the family some practical advice.
Josephine was trapped for around half an hour in total, Jacqueline said she was very brave but felt a little shaky after the incident.
The seven-year-old was given a thorough check over by ambulance staff but only suffered some minor bruising.
Josephine is now completely fine and the family joked that none of her friends at school were very interested in hearing about her ordeal.