Send us news, start your message Messenger News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Two elderly women treated after fires
TWO elderly women had to be treated for smoke inhalation after two separate cooking fires in Trafford yesterday.
The first incident occurred at around 8am at a flat on Grosvenor Road, Altrincham, after a toaster caught fire at the home of a 97-year-old woman.
The lady was alerted to the presence of smoke by her smoke alarm and called the fire service.
She was given oxygen by a member of the Altrincham Fire Service trauma team, an ambulance was called but she declined to go to hospital.
There was damage to the toaster but nothing else was harmed in the incident.
In a separate incident at 4pm, a small quantity of food caught fire in a microwave in a flat in Heaton Court, Wardle Road, Sale.
A crew from Sale Fire service extinguished the fire with a pan of water.
AN eighty-year-old woman was treated for smoke inhalation and was given oxygen by a GMFRS trauma technician.
An ambulance was called and she was taken to hospital.
Councillor David Acton, chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: “Luckily, neither of these women were seriously harmed and our firefighters were on the scene quickly to
“But the consequences could have been devastating. These incidents highlight just how easily a fire can start, so we’re asking people to think that little bit more carefully when cooking.
For further advice on home fire safety, visit manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_safety.aspx.