Send us news, start your message Messenger News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Councillor urges people to stop using chip pans after blaze tackled by Stretford crew
7:00pm Monday 10th September 2012 in News
FIRE Crews from Stretford and Eccles tackled a fire caused by an unattended chip pan at a pensioner’s home.
The firefighters arrived at the address in Peel Green, Eccles, on September 4 at around 6.45pm.
They found a chip pan on fire and extinguished the blaze.
The woman had exited her property before fire crews arrived as she had been alerted the blaze by her smoke alarm.
There was very little damage due to the early alert the smoke alarm had given the woman.
Firefighters used a fan to clear the smoke from the house and carried out a Home Safety Check.
Councillor David Acton, chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: "Chip pans are incredibly dangerous – they catch fire easily and the smoke from this type of incident is
potentially lethal – we would urge anyone still using one to stop doing so immediately.
"If you do discover a fire in your home, please don't tackle it yourself and do exactly as this woman did – get out, stay out and call 999 and wait for our crews to get there and deal with
For a free Home Safety Check call 0800 555 815, or visit manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_risk_assessments.aspx .
Comments are closed on this article.