Send us news, start your message Messenger News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Sheffield University student fatally electrocuted in Thailand
9:00am Friday 1st June 2012 in News
A POPULAR young man from Sale died when he touched a power socket during a holiday in Thailand, an inquest in Stockport heard.
Sheffield University student Charlie Thomas, aged 20, was fatally electrocuted when his hand touched the power socket, which was embedded in the ground on a concourse in front of a department store on Bangla Road, Soi Bangla, Phuket.
He was with his friend Mio Nicholson when the accident happened on August 25 last year, after it had been raining heavily.
The pair – who had been friends from their school days – were two thirds of the way through a three month travelling trip, which had already taken in India, Malaysia and Indonesia.
The inquest heard the friends sat on a concourse area in front of the store. Mio got up and when Charlie followed him he put his hand onto the floor for support and touched the socket.
Mio and passersby went to help and one passerby used a walking stick to get Charlie clear, but the inquest heard his death would have been almost instantaneous.
An investigation by Thai police said there was an electric leakage around the power socket.
A post mortem by pathologist Dr Susan Pritchard confirmed the cause of death was electrocution.
Charlie’s father Anthony described Charlie as a quiet person who was known for his kindness and who had touched many people's lives.
Mr Thomas and his wife Alison, of Hillington Road in Sale, also have two other children, Christopher, 16 and Elizabeth, 23.
Recording a verdict of accidental death, deputy coroner Joanne Kearsley said: “This is an absolute tragedy. Charlie was a young man who was enjoying his summer break.
“There was nothing he could have seen or done to know what was to occur, probably in a matter of seconds. I offer my condolences to you all.”
Verdict: accidental death.
Comments are closed on this article.