1:31pm Tuesday 17th April 2012
AN ELDERLY woman suffered burns to her hands after a blaze broke out in the kitchen of her Timperley home.
Fire crews from Sale and Altrincham were called to a house on Ambleside Avenue, Timperley, at 5.40pm on Monday.
The 89-year-oldl woman resident burnt her hands and inhaled smoke as she tried to tackle the fire.
But she managed to get out of the house before fire crews arrived.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the blaze.
The fire started when the woman turned on the gas hob instead of the gas oven and a kettle on the cooker caught fire.
She was treated by fire crews and paramedics at the scene before being taken to Wythenshawe Hospital for further treatment.
A smoke alarm fitted by the fire service had alerted the woman while she was upstairs.
Area Manager Dave Keelan, Head of GMFRS' Prevention Services, said: "While it’s always devastating for someone to be injured in a fire, it’s a relief to know that work we'd done in the past gave this woman the earliest possible warning of a fire in her home and our crews were on the scene quickly to help and start treatment on her injuries.
"Sixty per cent of house fires start in the kitchen - usually as a result of being distracted, even for just a few seconds.
"While we can’t expect to prevent all of these types of fire, a working smoke alarm will give you those precious seconds to escape it.
"Our Home Safety Checks often include the fitting of two free smoke alarms but, more than that, we will give you important advice and information about how to devise an escape plan and avoid injury if you do have a fire."
For a free Home Safety Check, which may include the fitting of smoke alarms, please contact Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 555 815 or visit www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_risk_assessments.aspx
© Copyright 2001-2013 Newsquest Media Group