A FATHER and son have been jailed today for attacking two brothers in Brooklands.

Stephen John Skinkis, 47, of Derbyshire Road South, Sale was sentenced to eight years in prison for causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

His son, 26 year-old Stephen Anthony Skinkis, of Warmley Road, Brooklands, was sentenced to eight years in prison for causing grievous bodily harm with intent, four years for violent disorder, two years for possession of an offensive weapon, plus another two for possession of a knife - all to run concurrently.

He also received one year in prison for witness intimidation to run consecutively, so will serve a total of nine years.

The pair were both found guilty of the offences following a trial at Manchester Crown Court Crown Square, where the jury heard that on Sunday, January 18, one of the victims, a 31-year-old man, drove with his mum to a local pub.

On their way the victim saw Stephen Anthony so stopped the car and went over to speak to him.

An argument began, which resulted in Stephen Anthony taking a long piece of wood and using it to hit the victim, who got back into the car.

Stephen Anthony then smashed the windscreen of the car with the piece of wood.

The victim and his mum picked up the victim's brother, a 36-year-old man before driving home. The 31-year-old man told his brother what had happened and they decided to go back and speak to Stephen Anthony.

They walked to Warmley Road where the 31-year-old man had another argument with Stephen Anthony. They decided to meet at a nearby pub to sort things out and the brothers walked home.

Around 10.30pm that night, the brothers heard a loud bang at the downstairs window of their house. They went outside and were faced with a large group of people, including Stephen Anthony and his father Stephen John Skinkis.

The 36-year-old victim saw Stephen Anthony waving an axe above his head and raised his arm to protect himself. He was knocked to the ground and attacked by the group, which included Stephen John.

He suffered a deep cut to his arm and a puncture wound to his lower back and bruising to his face and body.

He saw his brother with a knife sticking out of his abdomen and saw Stephen Anthony backing away from him.

The 31-year-old was taken to hospital where the knife had to be surgically removed and he remained in intensive care for several days after the attack.

Detective Sergeant Lee Price of West Didsbury CID said: "This was a nasty incident, which left two people needing hospital treatment.

"The injuries the younger brother received were life threatening and it is only by good fortune and the treatment he received at the hospital that he survived.

"I also want to take this opportunity to thank the local community in and around Gateacre Walk for their assistance with this incident.

"I hope today's result will act as a warning to anyone who feels violent behaviour is an acceptable way to settle a disagreement. It is not and there are consequences for actions like these."